Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage

Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage
Through the porthole on the Fantasy with the Disney Magic in the background

Monday, October 8, 2012

Cold weather running - a whole new degree of speed

So it seems we skipped fall and went straight in to winter here in the midwest.

This past weekend was jammed packed with excitement.  Thursday evening kicked it off with set up for the Belleville Chili Cook-Off.  Each year, the Belleville Running Club participates in this and it is always a blast.  We had awesome weather for set-up this year - low 70s in the evening - perfect for getting the booth put together and all the gear moved in.  The festivities officially start on Friday.  Unfortunately, that great weather disappeared over night.  It rained ALL DAY Friday!  It started around 9am and didn't leave the area until around 8pm that night.  And it wasn't even a warm rain - Nope! It was COLD!!  We hit the high for the day (52oF) before 8am and the temps just dropped from there, down into the 30's.  BRRRR!!  We were out there regardless - thankfully we had "walls" to put up around the tent to help hold the heat in.

Saturday was set to be a very full day.  I started it with an inaugural half marathon - the Hero Run.  Temps were around 40oF at the start.  Really hadn't expected to need to pull out the winter running gear just yet, but had to nonetheless.  I ended up running in a pair of capris, covered by a Sparkle Skirt, a long sleeve shirt and my Michelob Ultra Running Team singlet - all accessorized by a headband to cover my ears and a light pair of gloves!

It seems, however, that cold weather makes for a speedy Steph.  As I've discussed in a previous blog post, I ran without looking at my Garmin.  I just ran - simple as that.  I let my body decide how hard to push.  The half course ran with the 5k'ers for the first 2 miles, then they split off to the right to head to the finish line, while we turned left for an out and back.  The turn around was just past mile 4, and while on my way back, a friend shouted to me that I was currently the 6th female!  Huh!  Cool!

By this point, I did notice that the mile markers seemed to be a little off.  Although I do not look at my Garmin, I do have it set to beep at each mile.  It was consistently beeping long before I could even see the mile marker ahead of me.  At one point, I did look down at the Garmin to see exactly how far off it was... about a quarter mile.  Back to the race...

When we came off the out and back, we continued on a 2 loop finish, actually passing the finish party area in the middle of it.  After completing the first loop, I took a glance behind me to see who was around, and noticed the 7th place female not too far back.  Well, turns out, she caught me about mile 11.  Now normally, this would bother me quite a bit, except this girl was someone who I generally never get passed by - because she's NEVER BEHIND ME!  I was thrilled that I was able to at least someone keep pace with her in this race.  Once she passed, I used her as my target to push into the finish.  And push I did.  We ran through the finish party area one more time before rounding the block and heading in to the actual finish line.  When I turned the corner onto the final straight away, I could see the finish line clock in the distance.  It was a sunny day, so I was having a bit of a hard time focusing on it.  I could definitely see it said 1:4_:__, but couldn't get my eyes to focus on that second minutes digit.  As I got a little closer, I started seriously questioning my vision.  I swear it said 1:41:__!!  Can't be!  Had the battle with myself of, maybe that's 1:44 and I'm just not seeing clearly.  (1:44:53 was my standing PR from the Geist Half Marathon in May 2012).  A few more steps and reality set in... it really did say 1:41:__!!  And it wasn't just 1:41... it was under 1:41:30 when it really came into focus.  I wasn't just going to set a PR that day... I was going to OBLITERATE my PR and break 1:42!  I mustered up every ounce of energy I had remaining and hauled butt across the finish line, pumping my fist in the air as I crossed.  Official time... 1:41:55!!  And on a LONG course!
Finish line photo

My Garmin had a total distance of 13.4 miles.  Others had a distance range of 13.45 to 13.55.  Had the course been a true 13.1 miles, I not only would have PR'd, but I would have broken the 1:40 barrier!!  This is a time I'd never thought I'd see in my own books!  (Don't get me wrong, I'm THRILLED with my 3 minute PR based on the longer course... but it is definitely exciting to know that it would have been a sub-1:40 & a 5 minute PR with proper measurement.)
7th overall female, 3rd in the 30-39 females age group

Looks like all that training and pushing through in the heat of the summer really did my body some good - I am reaping the rewards now that the weather has changed!  2012 is MY YEAR!!  So far, I have PR'd in the 5k 3 times, once in the 5 mile, once at 10k, once at 10-mile (hopefully again in November), 3 times at the half marathon... and, if all goes well, the marathon in two weeks when I attempt my first sub-4.

I hope everyone else is having just as stellar of performances!!

Finisher's Medal

Oh - I should mention that I would definitely do this race again, despite the long course.  There were ample water stations on the course, plenty of food after, and free beer!  And the finishers' medal isn't too bad either.

1 comment: