Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage

Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage
Through the porthole on the Fantasy with the Disney Magic in the background

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

My favorite gear, part 2: CW-X compression

A while back, I did a post on my all-time favorite gear, my Sparkle Tech skirts from Sparkle Skirts.  I have since acquired 3 additional Sparkle Tech skirts... one of which is a two-of-a-kind print.  Leah had quite a few one & two-of-a-kinds at the runDisney Tower of Terror expo.

  • Hot Mama! (in the athletic cut as opposed to the standard cut on the website)
  • Peacock Bordeaux
  • Green Goddess (a two-of-a-kind print)

 Today's post, however, it's about my skirts.  :)  It's about another favorite item of mine... my CW-X tights.  These things are awesome! 


I bought my first pair years ago.  I had torn my hamstring just prior to the Inaugural Illinois Marathon.  I went through weeks of physical therapy and was close to healed but still not back to 100%.  Thankfully, I see a therapist (and a sports med doc) who "gets" runners.  She really understood that I didn't want to miss the race. Although she didn't give me an all clear to run a normal race, I was given the okay to participate provided I accepted her stipulations. 
  1. Listen to my hamstring.  When it ached, I was to walk.  I could jog again if the ache subsided.
  2. Find some compression tights to help with stabilization of the muscle.
 After much research, I decided on the CW-X Stabilyx 3/4 length tights.  I went with the Stabilyx because of the support for both the hamstrings and the IT band, which I have had problems with in the past.  I opted for the 3/4 length because it was an early May marathon and the temps were already on the warm side.

You can see what each style does best here:
This is the women's comparison from the CW-X website. The men's is identical.

These tights really helped keep my hamstring under control.  I was able to run (jog) to mile 18 before the aching started.  After that, it was a mostly walk (with a little jogging) to the finish.  I was a personal worst time for me, but I still got it done without doing any additional damage to my hamstring.  I've also used them for runs where my IT band is acting up, or if I get that haunting achiness in my hammy.  (If you've ever torn a muscle, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.)

Since then, I've found another great use for these tights... RECOVERY!  I'm NOT a fan of the ice bath after long runs and races. I now use my CW-X to help with my recovery instead.  Most of my tightness after a long run is in my hips.  While someday, I'll invest in a pair of Pro or Performx tights, right now, my Stabilyx do the trick.  They have decent support for the hip flexors.  The Pro and Performx would probably do a bit better, but anything is better than nothing.  Right?

As a side note, a lot of people I've talked to wonder if the thickness of the material the CW-X are made from would cause them to overheat in warmer weather.  I've found that as long as I dress weather-appropriate on top, that the thickness doesn't seem to bother me in the heat.  If this is a concern for someone, they also make most of these lines in a ventilator version, which is a more mess-like material for easier breathability.

1 comment:

  1. Agree on the NO ice baths. My muscles just start to cramp however I love my Zensah calf sleeves for recovery. Was looking at the tights for Goofy recovery to help the hips. Good to know the material isn't too warm since I over heat (however Jan in Fl is always up for grabs).

    ReplyDelete