Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage

Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage
Through the porthole on the Fantasy with the Disney Magic in the background

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

It's been awhile...

...since my last post.

As thrilled as I was with finally breaking that 4 hour mark in Tulsa's Route 66 Marathon, I paid the price for the intense training.

It hit about two weeks after the Rock N Roll St. Louis marathon, about two weeks before the Tulsa Route 66 Marathon... a severe case of burn-out.

After St. Louis, I had every intention of picking up my training with a "12 - 12 - 8 - race" long run schedule culminating with Tulsa, but it just didn't work out, except for a half marathon on the week of that second 12 mile long run.  Even my week day runs were difficult to me to motivate to get out for.  I was doing good to run there miles every other day and to get five miles in on the weekends.  Thankfully, I was still able to pull off the sub-4 in Tulsa.

After Route 66, I decided it was time to relax the running schedule.  Hubby & I had signed up for a Thanksgiving morning 5k, which we still participated in (and I managed to still run a great race despite the marathon 5 days prior, finishing in 21:45 and missing 3rd in my age group by 4 seconds), and followed that up with a 5 mile fun run with the Belleville Running Club.  I didn't run another step after that until a week later, where I ventured out for an easy 4 miles.  It was really hard to believe that I had a whopping 2 running days in as many weeks - I can't remember the last time I ran that little.

I've actually managed to get out the door two days in a row this week...  I just couldn't pass up the awesome weather.  I ran a good 4 miles yesterday - it was 60* out - absolutely GORGEOUS for the beginning of December.  Today, it was 55* and raining, but the 3.25 miles I got in still felt good.

I definitely still want to take a relaxed approach to my training for the time being, but with the runDisney Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend approaching in a mere five weeks, where I will be participating in Goofy's Race & a Half Challenge, I need to get at least some base runs in to maintain my fitness.  No doubt I can complete the 39.3 total miles that weekend - I've done that on considerably less training five times before - but I still want a good base so that I come out healthy and ready to jump into my next training plan.

What's up next...

Well, if I can manage to get myself registered, I might just try to BQ (<3:35) at the Illinois Marathon on 27 April 2013.  It's a fast, flat and gorgeous course, and it's relatively close to home.  Top it off with an awesome medal and a finish line on the 50-yard line of the stadium, and you've got yourself a pretty good event.  The decision isn't final yet - but the thought is definitely there.

No comments:

Post a Comment